Donetsk, Nov 5 – DAN. Donetsk People’s Republic representatives called for a Contact Group video conference after Ukraine failed the new attempt to disengage forces and hardware in Petrovskoye, Donetsk People’s Republic envoy to the Contact Group, the Republic’s Foreign Minister Natalia Nikonorova said on Tuesday.
“Due to Ukraine’s failure to begin disengagement in the Petrovskoye village area on the date approved by all Contact Group participants, the Republic’s representatives, on the strength of Article 5 of the Framework Agreement, initiated an extraordinary meeting of the Contact Group in the format of video conference,” Nikonorova said in a statement received by the Donetsk News Agency.
The Contact Group will have to come up with a new date for the measures to eliminate violations in the security area, which were spelled out in the previously approved plan.
“We expect an active position on part of the OSCE in arranging a Contact Group video conference, and a reasonable approach from our opponents towards approving a new date,” the DPR diplomat said.
On November 4, Kiev failed the attempt to begin the disengagement of forces and hardware in the Petrovskoye-Bogdanovka area.
The Petrovskoye village is located on the contact line some 40 kilometres south of Donetsk. Bogdanovka-Petrovskoye is one of the three pilot disengagement areas in Donbass, in accordance with the Framework Agreement signed by the Contact Group participants in Minsk in September 2016. The conflicting parties disengaged back in October 2016, but later on Ukrainian troops returned to their positions. Donetsk has been demanding since March 2018 that Kiev restore parity, but all the attempts have been unavailing so far.*jk