“Sajdik’s Donbass plan” is pro-American, dead end for Minsk process – Nikonorova

January 31, 2019 14:30 // Updated: January 31, 2019 14:30

Donetsk, Jan 31- DAN. The Donbass conflict settlement plan proposed by Special Representative of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office in Ukraine Martin Sajdik was designed in U.S. interests to deadlock the Minsk talks, Donetsk People’s Republic envoy to the Contact Group, DPR Foreign Minister Natalia Nikonorova said on Thursday.

“U.S. interests were obviously behind the so-called “Sajdik’s plan” from the beginning to deliberately bring the negotiations to a dead end in the hope to prolong the conflict at Russia’s borders and continue to put pressure on it,” Nikonorova said in a statement.

On Thursday, U.S. Department of State special representative for Ukraine negotiations Kurt Volker supported the previously announced “peace plan.” The DPR is not surprised at this situation.

“Unsurprisingly, the U.S. Department of State special representative again supports a plan which nobody understands or approves, even the OSCE and the UN , as it totally contradicts the Package of Measures provisions,” Nikonorova noted.

The only possible way to secure a political settlement in Donbas is to implement the Minsk Agreements, which in turn, envision the coordination “of any conflict settlement initiatives” with the DPR and the LPR, she said.

Sajdik, in an interview to Austrian magazine Kleine Zeitung on January 24, alleged that a new approach was needed for settling the Donbass conflict, such as the emergence of a UN interim administration with police and military functions in the People’s Republics. The DPR Foreign Ministry views the new Donbass plan as a bid to sabotage Minsk-2.*jk