Donetsk, Jan 28 - DAN. Residents of Delbaltsevo have finalised the first compensation claims against Ukraine to the tune of 12.7 million roubles which will be lodged at the European Court of Human Rights, chairwoman of the Public Commission for Assessing Ukraine-Caused Damage Anastasia Butorkina said after the Commission’s meeting on Tuesday.
“Today, the Commission reviewed appeals from residents of apartment houses No 13 and 46 located in Debaltsevo’s Lenin Street which had been damaged in the course of fighting in 2014 and 2015,” Butorkina said. “As a result of direct and shrapnel hits, a majority of apartments sustained damage to load-bearing structures, windows, doors, interior and vital systems.”
The total sum of damage caused to residents of house No 13 reaches 6.9 million rubles, while the damage to house No 46 is estimated at 5.8 million rubles.
Earlier, Gorlovka and Staromikhailovka residents gathered all necessary documents to lodge an action against Kiev and claim compensation for the damage caused by the Ukrainian army.
The public commission for assessing the economic damage caused to the Donbass population by Ukraine was set up in Donetsk in November 2019. The decision to set up the commission was made by a group of activists from the Donetsk and Lugansk People’s Republic at a public meeting.
* * *
Debaltsevo is located in the northern part of the Donetsk People’s Republic. In 2014, it was seized by Kiev regime gunmen who had invaded Donbass. The DPR and the LPR took control of the town on February 18, 2015. The retreating Ukrainian forces blasted a number of infrastructure facilities, including the largest regional railway station. Overall, some 80 percent of buildings in the town were destroyed.*jk